Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Songs from the Labyrinth

I was reading the other day that Sting had made a CD of Dowland lute songs, which was interesting as I'm a big fan of Dowland (and Sting has some good songs too). The CD does include a couple of my favourites: "Come Again" (apparently it would be anachronistic to read any innuendo into the title, but the rest of it's certainly fairly dodgy) and "Can she excuse my wrongs?", though not "I saw my lady weep".

According to the blurb, at the time they were written it would have been quite normal for them to be sung as after dinner entertainment by people who weren't the sort of classically trained singers you usually hear doing them nowadays, so the Sting version is perfectly reasonable in this respect. The only problem is that he seems to have developed this very west-country accent on several, which kind of gives the impression of Dowland as sung by the Wurzels (another excellent band I must say...)

Meanwhile, I've switched over to Blogger Beta, which has led to me ageing rapidly (as Shrig pointed out, I am now 249 years old in my profile). It also turned out that it wasn't compatible with the old version of Picasa, so I had to upgrade to the new one which is incompatible with the RAW files the camera produces. Brilliant.

No comments: