Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Holga again

Since the University might actually get round to paying me at the end of the month, I've splashed out the grand sum of £40 on a Holga with filters and flash! Everyone seems very taken with the fun of using them - it's apparently quite liberating not to be able to take perfect photos, no matter how hard you're trying, so you can just get on and enjoy yourself, ignoring all perfectionistic tendencies.

And the colour photos - particularly when cross-processed - have a kind of old Super 8 cine film look about them, which I've always felt looks more "real" than video. Although video actually does look more real. I'm not big on reality. The greeny-yellowy cast also reminds me of The Double Life of Veronique, which is one of my favourite films ever, possibly because it has very little truck with reality...

No comments: