Thursday, July 05, 2007

Never Mind The Quality Feel The Width

I was out in Glasgow trying out my new wide-angle lens yesterday. It's a nice lens, but it became clear pretty quickly that I have bugger-all idea of what to do with it: there's so much stuff in the frame. And it's all so far away (or maybe small). Anyway, here are a few of the better shots.

The City Chambers and the centotaph and that-man-on-the-big-pillar-whose-name-I-can-never-remember-although-someone-told-me-last-year-in-a-comment-on-another-post...

St. George's Church

MoMA in Royal Exchange Square. That damned statue never has its cone on when I'm there.

An elderly couple in George Square who were sitting on the bottom of a statue of Burns listening to what sounded like The Greatest Hits of Jimmy Shand on a casette player they'd brought with them. I'm not sure if they thought this was simply appropriate behaviour in Glasgow, or were hoping a wee ceilidh might break out.

Woman sitting on the steps of Borders in a nice coat. I hope the monster didn't get her.

Don't know why there was an up-ended infinity symblol projected on this wall on Buchanan Street, but I expect it has a deeply mystic significance.

Bright reflections. I'm always trying to get the perfect Buchanan Street shot, but there are so many variations in the light I never quite manage it :-(

Greatly reduced piper.

Street shot. Click on it to get the slightly bigger version where you can see the people better.

Buskers on Sauchiehall Street.

Good news for a change.

Shadows.

Bus.

6 comments:

Shrig said...

I don't think the quality is half bad. I love the picture of the lady with the red coat, the shadows and the first wide angle picture. But they are all great street scenes. Oh, and the tour bus is exactly like the ones in New York City, the big red, double decker types. Only instead of "City Sightseeing Glasgow" they say "New York City Tourbus" or something like that. Perhaps they are from the same company? ;)

Loved the shots. Really cool. :)

Alcluith said...

Thanks, Heather! I think the buses must be kind of generic because they have them in Cambrdige too. But I'm quite surprised to hear they're in New York - I'd have thought they were a British phenomenon...

Unknown said...

Why do they keep taking the traffic cone off? It only means some drunk weegie has to risk his neck to put one back again.

Alcluith said...

Exactly. You'd think the health and safety regulations would forbid removal of the cone for that very reason...

kiltsandthistles said...

We have the sightseeing buses in DC as well. Double-decker and all. I love the pictures of Sauchiehall Street. My Grandmum grew up there and when I was visiting we didn't have the chance to go. When I move there next year I am planning to spend a couple of days shadowing my Grandmum's old haunts, what's left of them that is. I love the picture of the woman in the red coat.

word verification definition :-)

szcsizmu-a giants sneeze

Alcluith said...

Thanks JoyAnna! We must arrange to meet up for a coffee when you get here :-)