Friday, December 02, 2005

And Lady Mondegreen

I was attempting to play "Mrs Robinson" last night and realised that it didn't go

"Look around you, all you see are sympathetic eyes.
Stroll around the grounds until you feel them all." (the eyes, which always seemed a bit creepy).

But in fact

"Stroll around the grounds until you feel at home."

Which reminded me of various other mondegreens perpetrated by me and members of my family:

"It won't be a stylish marriage, we can't afford a cabbage" - from "Daisy, Daisy". Should have been "a carriage" - but clearly at four I thought they were really poor.

My brother thought that "You Picked a Fine Time to Leave me Lucille" contained the line "With four hundred children and a crop in the field". No wonder the singer was annoyed; "Four hungry children and a crop in the fields" would have been bad enough.

My Dad thought as a child that the chorus "We will be true to Thee till death" in the hymn "Faith of Our Fathers" was in fact "We will be trootle-beetle death". Presumably a hymn about fumigation in the the name of the Lord.

And finally, on a similar theme, I thought for years that God was called Peter as Mass always ended with the words "Thanks, Peter God" ("Thanks be to God"). But this seemed quite logical since St. Peter had obviously been named after him...

2 comments:

Xx. said...

A very interesting entry..: ) I like your pictures too. sweet.

Alcluith said...

Thanks :-)